Pages

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

On Pet Talent Trees

Cunning, ferocity, and tenacity. I believe these are all subjective terms, and I have to say, I am an RP-Raider. Why can't we be both? How we tend to view RP'ers is that they are dressed up in their froofy costumes, hanging out around towns and bars doing their roleplaying goodness. It's totally harmless and fun. Then we view "raiders" as totally serious and removed, if they had any roleplaying interests it is all stripped off in favour of killing big bad meanies.

Both aspects show an enjoyment of the game, be it the "soft" factors such as costumes and self created backstories, to the "hard" tactile raid "content". I like to be both! Firelands on its own is meaningless if my character doesn't care to defeat Ragnaros, and it's even less meaningless if I go out and tame a pet just for a specific buff to benefit the party. Technically speaking this is optimal, but for a battle as epic as the Firelord, I would like my long term/close companions such as Puppy (seen above) to accompany me.

Now what was I saying? Oh yes, pet talents. Why do the beasts of Azeroth come locked in certain traits? What makes a Dragonhawk more "cunning" than a Hyena? What makes a Tallstrider more "ferocious" than a Scorpion? Why can't a giant Devilsaur take the beats as well as a squishy worm?

As masters of all things beastly, you would think that us hunters are able to "train" our pets to whatever style we would like. Perhaps one of my Devilsaurs is more devious than the other and loves to devour members of the opposite faction hence he can be specced PVP cunning, while the other is prone to ferocious outbursts and remains Ferocity?

It's a very simple mechanic to adjust, we have our pet skins and the individual talent trees to apply to them. In terms of beast family abilities such as Burrow Attack, Lightning Breath, or Shell Shield, what if depending on which talent tree we choose for our pets, they get to choose between 3 different talent tree specific family abilities. Kind of like our "signature" abilities when we choose which talent tree to specialize in.

Some examples could include:

Turtles:
Tenacity: Shell Shield
Cunning: Head-Butt (Stun/Interrupt)
Ferocity: Great Bite (Reduce movement speed)

Scorpion
Tenacity: Clamp (Or whatever it is now)
Cunning: Poison Jab (Reduces Healing)
Ferocity: Tail Jab (Nature Damage Debuff)

Since we see a lot of shared-then-renamed abilities, this is totally feasible...right?

By doing this, for the FIRST TIME EVER I even minded PVP implications, where my recommended changes are feasible for PVP. Perhaps there are PVP hunters who really want to use a certain pet but they just had really bad abilities. I wouldn't even mind if certain pets had sub-optimal abilities for Ferocity PVE, but as long as they can access the DPS boosting talents in the Ferocity tree I shall be satiated.

(Or just reinstate Eyes of the Beast so I can run around as all the pretty pets and I'll stop complaining forevers ;D )

Turby the Hunter

No comments:

Post a Comment